Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Pros of Fear

Clichés such as “The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree,” concerned me greatly as a young boy. Especially that the closer I observed my father as Mr. Hyde, the more convinced I became, that I did not want to follow in his footsteps. I worried that some genetic flaw, out of my control, would one day bring me to crave his addictions, and that I would lose myself forever. In response, I prejudiced myself against the things I feared; vowing never to use nicotine, illicit drugs, or liquor. I believed that each of these things hold the potential to destroy a life. Therefore, that which cannot be repaired should be avoided. Over the years, peer pressure would take many of my friends down a dark path; some never to return. For me however, peer pressure was no match for the fear I had of (1) becoming my father, (2) losing myself, (3) failing in life, or (4) letting myself, and the people that count on me, down. While the apple may not fall far from the tree, it has infinite potential to roll.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the way you put that. Infinite potential to roll. Nice.

orlando said...

just stumbled across your blogg (I am writing about e-learning ;) - and I am happy to got stumbled to this - how you write moves (me) - it comes from a very true source - stay with your good dreams and high visions - only they have the power to overcome adversities, whatsoever your past was - I believe in men (& women) like you!!! ... I am from Austria (Vienna), Europa